Ideas for a short film

The Ideas

No. 1 - A love film

My first idea was to make a film encapsulating my ideas of what love is. I first did this by thinking about my ideas of romantic love in my relationship but then I branched out to family love and finally love of friends. and the conflict inside each of them. I wanted to present this as more of a slideshow of emotions rather than a cohesive narrative but problems occurred when I started to write a draft as I needed some sort of narrative to allow a sense of movement in the film, and in my opinion love is a fluid that flows through people and having a film that felt still wasn't appealing to me. The techniques I thought of using to create this fluidity involved mainly editing and cinematography. I wanted to use loads of close-ups and pan and tracking shots to make movement a key aspect of the short film, but I found conflict in this as it prevented me from using more relaxed ways of shooting to show eloquent moments between the relationships of the characters. Music is also a big part of the film and I wrote up many playlists consisting of the right genres, songs and feelings that each song gave to try and connect the songs story, as I tried to use as little dialogue as possible because I wanted it to be more about the characters and what an audience can see rather than just spewing exposition. Ultimately I took inspiration from When the Day Breaks as it relied less on conversation and more on music/what you can see, The Swimmer also inspired me with the idea of a presentation of people, rather than a structured story. 

No. 2 - A Tragedy

My second Idea was one still relating to love however I wanted to make an actual story. I still wanted the meaning to be there but for it to be buried inside the narrative. For this I took inspiration mainly from La Jetee and Curfew structurally but also making homages to films that inspired my idea of love when I was a child. For this I wanted to reference the films Moulin Rouge (2003), Romeo + Juliet (1996) as well as newer films I have watched like Say Anything (1989) and (500) Days of Summer (2009). I wanted to take certain scene from these films and implant them somehow into the film, I also wanted to take some of their narratives and combine them together whilst also creating an original plot. For example, I would take a scene from Moulin Rouge or a theme or a piece of the mise-en-scene and input it into my film, like the colour red or the musical choices. I also wanted to make obvious references to some of these to make the plot universally understood, like the prologue of Romeo + Juliet being put at the start of my film to know what's going to happen. I still wanted to use little dialogue like La Jetee and narrate it instead. I also wanted it to be non-linear in parts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Director is Always The Most Important Influence on a Film.' Compare how far your two chosen films support the statement.

Discuss How Important Cinematography Is In Establishing Strong Responses From Spectators To A Key Character in La La Land